Mini Banana Chia Seed Breakfast Muffin
You may have heard about chia seeds since they have been named a “Super Food” in recent years. Here’s the deal … these tiny seeds are packed with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium. They can be eaten in liquid, sprinkled on a salad, or used as an egg substitute like in this recipe (1 tablespoon chia + 2 tablespoons water = 1 egg).
Enjoy these gluten-free, vegan, delicious, and nutrient-dense muffins with your favorite hot drink to start your day right!
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
4 tablespoons water
3 small bananas, mashed
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons plain or vanilla almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup all-purpose, gluten-free flour
1/2 cup gluten-free oats
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a mini muffin sheet with paper liners
2. In a cup, mix chia seeds and water, and allow to sit a few minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add honey, almond milk, vanilla, baking powder, and stir.
4. Add thickened chia seed and water, mix and stir.
5. Add gluten-free flour and oats, and stir well. (Add more honey if desired.)
6. Completely fill paper liners. (Muffins will not rise much, if at all.)
7. For mini muffins: Bake 11 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center pulls up clean.
8. Remove from the oven and let sit to cool in pan for about 3 minutes. Move to cooling rack to cool completely.
9. Now, cut one in half, spread with coconut oil—and enjoy!
Please note: Comments will not be posted until approved by our moderator. It may be a bit before you see your comment. We reserve the right to block comments that are snarky or off-topic and they may be edited for tone and clarity. We believe in offering different opinions but will not allow offensive language. For more details read our Comment Guidelines.